Puente Romano crosses the Guadalquivir River, it originated in the 1st century AD but has been rebuilt several times since then. The Roman Bridge would have been part of the Augusta route which connected Roma to Cadiz. Its present form was constructed in the Middle Ages, with the Muslim rulers building on the remains of the former Roman Bridge. The Puerta del Puente and Calahorra Tower were constructed at each end of the bridge in the Middle Ages. The latest changes were made in 1876. The bridge has 16 arches (the original had 17 arches), four are pointed and the rest are semi-circular. Half-way along the bridge is a 16th century shrine and statue of Saint Raphael created by Bernabe Gomez del Rio. The total length of the bridge is 247 meters and it is approximately 9 meters wide.